Have you ever heard the saying disease can not exist in an alkaline environment (body)? Well by eating foods such as tomatoes, avocados and green vegetables, etc you can change that very environment inside your body. Regulating your body's acid/alkaline chemistry through simple changes in diet can result in weight loss, improved digestive system, a stronger immune system and a greater sense of well-being.
This is not as difficult as it sounds, a few simple changes can effect the whole body chemistry. When we talk about eating alkaline foods or starting an alkaline diet we are referring to consuming those foods and drink which have an alkaline effect on the body. This effect is based upon the mineral content of the food and therefore the residue ph that remains after our foods are consumed.
Some foods leave the body in an acidic state, whereas others leave it alkaline. Conveniently for us, it just so happens that the foods that contain alkaline minerals are all the foods we already know are good for us: low sugar foods, fresh vegetables etc. And the foods that contain minerals that leave the body acidic include sweets, alcohol, packaged and processed foods, excessive meat consumption, dairy etc.
We should ideally aim to eat 70-80% alkaline foods and a maximum of 20-30% acid forming foods.
All you really have to do is take a look at your plate! Is 70% of the food on it alkalizing? As for the other 30%, you can do what you like. The end result will depend on how deturmied you are to remove acid forming foods.
By observing which foods give your body energy and which foods leave you feeling drained can be a good indication also. Do you feel a drop in energy 20 minutes after you eat a greasy burger? This is why alkaline diet is so important.
Eating alkaline foods or starting an alkaline diet refer to consuming those foods and drink which have an alkaline effect on the body.
The Alkaline diet (also known as the alkaline acid diet and the acid alkaline diet) is a controversial dietary protocol based on the consumption of mainly fresh fruit, vegetables, roots and tubers, nuts, and legumes while minimising or reducing grains, dairy, meat and excess salt.
Foods to increase
In order to alkalinise the diet it is important to start consuming alkaline foods and drinks while eliminating acidifying foods and drinks from your diet. As a rough guide you can simply remember that most fruits and vegetables have an alkaline effect in the body.
There are a few exceptions to he rule. Acidic vegetables include asparagus, corn and brussel sprouts. Acid fruits include strawberries, cranberries, plums and prunes.
Besides most fruits and vegetables, there are other foods that are widely accepted as being alkaline. These would include millet, buckwheat, sprouted beans, sprouted seeds, olive oil, soaked almonds, chestnuts, fresh coconut, molasses and millet.
Foods to reduce
The main foods to avoid while alkalinize the body include sugar, dairy, meat, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, wheat, yeast, fruit (apart from those mentioned above), bad fats (saturated, trans-fatty acids, hydrogenated) and salt.
It is also important to note cleansing the body of toxins and and heavy metals rapidly create an alkaline environment in which the body can heal itself. Cleansing is a natural, holistic method of healing in which the body detoxifies itself reducing the lose of vital nutrients with in the body.
It maybe recommend to attempt to alkalise the body if a person has the following symptoms and other illnesses have been ruled out.
Lack of Energy
The alkaline diet should not be used by people with acute or chronic kidney failure unless under a doctor's supervision. People with pre-existing heart disease and those on medications that affect potassium levels in the body should check with their doctor first.
What the Experts Say About the Alkaline Diet
Although conventional doctors do support increasing the consumption of fruit and vegetables and reducing one's intake of meat, salt, and refined grains is beneficial to health, most conventional doctors do not believe that an acid-producing diet is the foundation of chronic illness.
The common belief among most medical practitioners, however, is that the blood alkalinity (pH) is not significantly affected by diet. However, there is evidence in conventional medicine that alkaline diets may help prevent the formation of calcium kidney stones, osteoporosis, and age-related muscle wasting.
In the end, the consensus seems to suggest that an 80/20 alkaline diet provides the most benefit for most people, most of the time.